- Context menu options in windows
- Customize interface
- Repositionable notes
- Form copy
- Dim window if inactive (DDW)
- Store the size and position of windows
- Animation of windows
- Automatically resizing your windows according to their content
- Translucent effect of windows
- Search in the windows
Context menu of windows (AAF)
The popup menu of the windows (right mouse click on the window) contains the following options:
Tip: Your window is too small? The font used is too small? Zoom with Ctrl + Mouse wheel. The "Cancel zoom" option in the context menu of the window is used to restore the initial state.
Context menu options in windows
You want to modify the interface of your windows, change the position of controls, add tooltips, ... All you have to do is enable the "Modification" mode. This mode allows you to move controls, to resize them, to change the color of controls, to add a tooltip, ...
Example: A tooltip is missing in the Customer form on the phone number. To add this tooltip:
- Switch to modification mode ("Customize interface .. Switch to modification mode" in the popup menu of the window).
- Select the control and click "Edit tooltip" in the control context menu.
- The tooltip text is displayed in modification. You have the ability to type the requested text.
- When the text is typed, click the window background.
- Close the modification mode ("End of edit mode" in the context menu of the window).
You rarely use a feature of your application, and you never remember when to check an option?
Add a repositionable note in your window. This note will be automatically displayed when opening the window and it will be reduced after a few seconds.
To create a repositionable note:
- Right-click to open the context menu of the window.
- Select "Repositionable notes .. Create a repositionable note".
- The repositionable note appears in the current window. You can position it anywhere in the window and type the text of the note.
Remark: You can paste text into the note (Ctrl + V).
By default, the repositionable note has the following characteristics:
- Note text in red.
- Medium size for the note text.
- Background color of note colored in yellow.
- Creation day displayed in the note (Today). This date will be adjusted over time (for example: 3 days ago, etc.).
- Automatic reduction: Whenever the window is displayed, the note is displayed during 10 seconds then it is automatically reduced (in the upper-right corner of the window).
The context menu of the repositionable note allows you to configure this note.
The available options are as follows:
- Modify note text: The input cursor is displayed at the end of note text for modification.
Remark: To modify the text of the note, you also have the ability to click the note directly.
- Minimize: This option is used to minimize the note. The note is positioned as a thumbnail in the upper-right corner of the window.
A click on the square icon is used to restore the note to its initial dimension.
- Minimize automatically: If this option is selected, the note will be displayed when opening the window and it will be automatically reduced after 5 seconds (if it was not modified).
- Background color: This option is used to customize the background color of the note.
- Text color: This option is used to customize the text color.
- Text size: This option is used to customize the text size.
- Delete note: This option is used to delete the note. In this case, the note will not be displayed anymore. The deletion can be undone by pressing Ctrl + Z.
- Export notes of this window: This option is used to create a "wdnote" file in the specified directory. The file name proposed by default corresponds to the window name. This option is used to save the notes associated with the window. The exported notes are not deleted from the window.
- Export all notes of the application: This option is used to create a "wdnote" file in the specified directory. The file name proposed by default corresponds to the application name. This option is used for example to save the notes of the application. The exported notes are not deleted from the application.
- Import notes: This option is used to import a "wdnote" file into the application. This window can contain the notes of a window as well as the ones of the application. The notes found both in the application and in the file will not be modified, the notes found in the file only will be added into the application.
When typing several copies of a form one after another, some of the information to type may be the same for each instance of the form. For example, when typing a set of articles, the name and reference of the articles change each time but the name of the supplier may remain the same during several entries.
To speed up the operations, you can ask the current window to copy the information entered in the different controls into the clipboard in order to paste it whenever a new input is performed.
To copy the data from the current window to the clipboard, use:
- The "Copy form" option in the context menu of the window.
- The Ctrl + Alt + C shortcut.
To paste the data from the clipboard to the current window, use:
- The "Paste form" option in the popup menu of the window.
- The Ctrl + Alt + V shortcut.
Dim window if inactive (DDW)
Your application opens several windows at the same time and you don't know which one to use?
The inactive windows can be automatically dimmed. This feature allows you to always know which window to use.
This feature is called DDW, which stands for Dim Disabled Windows.
You modify the information regarding a customer
and you click the "Validate" button.
A window prompts you to confirm or cancel the changes.
The main window (in the background) has become unavailable.
It is automatically dimmed.
You immediately identify the window that must be used.
Several options can be used to dim the current window.
These options are as follows:
- Dim window if inactive (DDW): This option is used to gray (or not) the inactive windows. This option is valid for the current window only.
- Increase DDW rate: This option is used to display a progress bar indicating the current rate of gray for the inactive windows. You can increase this rate by pressing Ctrl + Alt + '+' on the numeric keypad. This rate of gray will be valid for the entire application.
- Reduce DDW rate: This option is used to display a progress bar indicating the current rate of gray for the inactive windows. You can decrease this rate by pressing Ctrl + Alt + "-" on the numeric keypad. This rate of gray will be valid for the entire application.
To stop displaying the progress bar, simply press Esc or Enter.
Store the size and position of windows
By default, a window is displayed according to the position defined by the developer of the application. Furthermore, the size of the window corresponds to the size defined by the developer.
If this feature is enabled, the last size and position of the window are automatically saved when closing the window. The window will be displayed at the same position during its next opening.
This feature can be enabled or disabled via "Remember window size and position" in the context menu of the window (displayed when you right-click the window).
Remark: Once the size and position of the window have been modified, you have the ability to restore its default size and position. Simply select "Restore default size and position" in the context menu of the window (right-click the window).
Animation of windows
Your windows look dull when they are opened and closed? Brighten them up: with animations!
This feature can be easily disabled via the "Disable window animations" option in the context menu of the window (right-click the window).
Developer tip: to animate the windows of your application, configure the different animations ("Animations of windows" button) in the "Advanced" tab of the project description.
Automatically resizing your windows according to their content
Your windows are displayed in a tiny format while the size of your screen is much bigger? The size of your windows can be automatically adapted to their content!
Before : the window is very small.
After : the window is automatically resized according to its content and to the available space.
This feature can be easily enabled or disabled via the "Adapt window size" option in the context menu of the button (right-click the window).
Translucent effect of windows
Depending on the style of your applications, the border of your windows can be translucent: you will have the ability to see in transparency the windows found below or the background image of your Windows desktop.
The option "Disable the translucent effect of window borders" is used to disable this transparency effect on your windows.
Developer tip: to enable (or not) the transparency effect of your windows, check "Vista transparency and fuzzy effect" in the "Image" tab of the window description and configure the shaded area of your windows.
Search in the windows
Do want to find a word in the edit controls of your window?
Nothing's easier. The "Search" option is used to perform a search in all the controls of your window (edit controls, table rows, ...). It is also possible to press Ctrl + F directly.
In the window that appears, enter the word or expression to search for, as well as the characteristics of the search. Click the "Next" button to start the search. The sought word will be automatically selected if it is found.