- Languages supported by the project
- Linguistic options
- Executable program
- Languages supported by the analysis
- Languages supported by the different project elements
- Displaying the languages supported by an element
- Synchronizing the element languages with the project
- Changing the language displayed in the editors
Choosing the languages supported by the application
The choice of languages supported by the WINDEV or WINDEV Mobile application or by the WEBDEV site is performed at several levels:
- choose the languages supported by the project.
- choose the languages supported by the analysis.
- choose the languages supported by the different project elements.
Languages supported by the project
The different languages supported by the project are defined in the project description:
- On the "Project" tab, in the "Project" group, click "Description".
- Select the "Language" tab.
The selected languages will be proposed when entering information about the different elements that can be translated (captions of controls, menu options, help message associated with a control, ...).
When changing the project language, changes will be automatically taken into account:
- any new object created in the different editors (Window, Report, Control, ...).
- any element opened in the different editors (Window, Report, ...).
The default language (identified with the number "1") corresponds to the language used by default at runtime. To modify it, use the popup menu of the language that will be used by default.
The display of the numeric data found in the project (number, currency, date, ...) can be configured in each language supported by the project.
The parameters used by default are the ones defined in the Windows language options (accessible from the Windows control panel).
This setting is performed in the "Languages" tab of project description. To do so:
- Select the desired language.
- Select the element to configure (number, currency, ...)
- Modify the desired parameters and validate.
Remark: A button is used to reinitialize the parameters with the default values.
When creating an edit control or a column in a Table control that displays numeric data (number, currency, date, time, etc.), the input mask applied will be the mask defined in the project language options. This option is available in windows and pages.
At runtime, when an edit control or a table column has a mask "Defined by the project", the input/display mask will automatically adapt according to the options selected in the project for the language displayed at runtime.
Remark: The "Various" option is used to define:
- the writing direction.
- the character set used.
- the WDM translation file.
When creating the executable program, you have the ability to specify the languages that will be taken into account by the executable.
You can for example create a different executable program for each language supported by the project. This feature is used to reduce the executable size.
All the project languages are included in the Java archive.
Languages supported by the analysis
If your project uses an analysis, the languages supported by the analysis are selected in the data model editor. The same analysis can be shared between different projects that do not use the same languages. Therefore, the analysis might use more languages than the project.
To configure the languages supported by the analysis:
- Display the analysis description: on the "Analysis" pane, in the "Current element" group, click "Description".
- Select the "International" tab.
The different languages configured in the analysis will be proposed:
- when configuring the shared information of the items. The description of the controls bound to the items (options, captions, etc.) can be entered in the different languages supported by the analysis. When generating a "full application RAD" or a window RAD, this information will be automatically taken into account for all languages common to the analysis and to the project.
- in the information printed in the technical documentation (information typed in the "Notes" tab of file or item description).
- in the information managed by "Reports & Queries". Indeed, if "Reports & Queries" is supplied with your WINDEV application, you have the ability to translate the name of the file and the name of each item. Therefore, the user will be able to use the names corresponding to his own language when creating his reports and queries. This information can be entered in the "Reports & Queries" tab of the file and item description.
Remark: "Reports & Queries" is available for WINDEV applications only.
Languages supported by the different project elements
With Default, the different elements of the project (windows, pages, reports, code, classes, procedure collections, ...) manage the same languages as the project in which they were created.
In some cases, an element may support more languages than the project (when the element is shared between several projects that support different languages for example).
Displaying the languages supported by an element
To find out which languages are supported by an element:
- for the windows, the pages and the reports: display the "Language" tab of description window.
- for the classes and the sets of procedures:
- Select the class or the set of procedures in the "Project explorer" pane.
- Select "Languages" from the popup menu.
In the window for managing the element languages, you have the ability to add a new language. This language will be supported by the selected element. To add a language to the entire project, the language must be added to the project description (see "Languages supported by the project").
Synchronizing the element languages with the project
The "Synchronize with the project" button found in the window for managing the element languages is used to synchronize the languages of the current element with the ones defined for the project.
After synchronization, only the languages supported by the current project will be selected. These languages cannot be deselected. The other languages (not supported by the project) will be deleted and the existing translations will be lost.
Changing the language displayed in the editors
To change the language displayed in the editors (window, page, code, report), go to the "Display" tab, "Options" group and click "Language displayed". The corresponding shortcut is:
- Ctrl + Alt + L to go to next language.
- Shift + Alt + L to go to previous language.
This page is also available for…