- The tooltips
- The status bar
- The standard help windows
- HLP or CHM help file
Types of help systems in a WINDEV application
There are multiple solutions to provide help to the users:
The first three types of help systems are directly created in the window editor, in the description of each control ("Help" tab). These help systems have a simple presentation and cannot be linked together.
The fourth type of help system is created in the help editor. It is a more structured help system, allowing you to guide the users step by step.
The tooltips are light yellow rectangles that are displayed when a control is hovered by the mouse cursor. A tooltip contains a help message about the hovered control. A tooltip can inform the user about the expected currency unit when typing a price, for example.
By default, the tooltips are automatically enabled in a WINDEV application.
To type the message to be displayed in the tooltip of a control:
- Open the control description window (select "Description" in the context menu).
- In the "Help" tab, in the "Tooltip" area, type the text of the tooltip.
- In a multilingual application, the text of the tooltip can be typed in several languages.
- If the "RTF" option is checked, the text can be formatted via the options of the RTF toolbar. The formatting will be maintained at runtime.
- The text of the tooltip can be modified programmatically with the ToolTip property.
- From version 21, a margin is displayed around the text: therefore, the text of the tooltip is more readable.
- End users can modify the tooltips in their applications. For more details, see Control tooltips (AAF).
- You can use custom tooltips. For more details, see Custom tooltips.
You can display information in the status bar of a window. There are two cases:
- The message is linked to a control. The message can be entered in the "Help" tab of the description window of the controls. The message will be displayed when the control is selected by the user.
- The message is linked to a process defined programmatically. Simply use Message to specify the message to display.
The standard help windows
The standard help windows are standard "Windows" windows used to display an explanatory text associated with a control.
The title and text of this type of window can be entered in the "Help" tab of the control description window. No image can be used in these windows.
If this window was defined for a control, the window will be automatically displayed when pressing the F1 key.
A help system includes a summary, keywords (index) and pages. When users open the help, they are addressed to a help page. Help pages can contain images, links to other pages, etc
Two formats of help systems can be created in WINDEV:
- HLP help file:
- CHM help file:
There are three options to open this type of help:
- full help: the help file is displayed directly.
- full context-sensitive help: the help file is opened on a specific page corresponding to the current window or control.
- graphic tooltip: the help is displayed as a context-sensitive tooltip.
For example: Context-sensitive help
For more details on the different ways to open an HLP or CHM file, see Open the help
Unit examples (WINDEV): Help for the user
Unit examples (WINDEV): BalloonTip