- Preliminary points
- Overview of tutorial
- Legend of symbols used in this guide
- How to access the online help?
- If you are familiar with WINDEV 23...
- What is WINDEV used for?
: This is a tutorial. We advise you to refer to the online help when you are using WINDEV.
The purpose of this tutorial is to help you discover WINDEV, get familiar with the editors and learn the WINDEV concepts.
This manual does not cover all WINDEV features.
You should plan on spending a few hours to follow this course and to learn WINDEV: this is a good investment!
If you try to develop an application before following this tutorial, you will lose time, and a lot more than the few hours you'll spend on this tutorial.
This tutorial was designed to be followed in two different ways:
- either you follow all the detailed exercises in each lesson (recommended method).
- or, if you are in a hurry and already have significant experience, you can simply read this tutorial without doing the exercises (all the actions are illustrated). However, in order to quickly assimilate the main concepts, we recommend that you follow the tutorial step by step.
WINDEV evolves all the time, so the screen shots found in this course may differ from the windows displayed in your product.
The tutorial was designed to progressively teach you how to use WINDEV. By following this course:
- you will discover the main concepts explained informally ; these are the concepts you must learn and understand.
- you will also be asked to perform operations that illustrate the concepts just explained.
As you progress through the tutorial, if you want to take a closer look at a concept or if you want to get more details about a programming function, see the online help (accessible from the editors).
The size of a lesson is not necessarily proportional to its relevance...
And don't forget to take a look at the examples supplied with WINDEV: they are very instructive!
Legend of symbols used in this guide
|This symbol indicates the duration of the lesson. Please note that the actual time may vary according to your level of experience.|
|An example is available to complement the lesson. The examples are available in the WINDEV home page (Ctrl + <).|
|This symbol introduces a "Tip": reading the associated text is strongly recommended.|
|This symbol introduces a "Warning": reading the associated text is essential.|
|This symbol introduces a "Note": reading the associated text is recommended.|
How to access the online help?
The WINDEV online help allows you to get detailed information about the 3700 WLanguage functions. It also contains the help about the editors and the controls, tips, ...
The online help is available at any time in WINDEV:
- In the code editor, a specific help is available for each function via the F1 key.
- Each dialog box displayed by WINDEV can propose a button allowing you to access the corresponding help page.
- The help menu of editors ("Help" option available on the "Home" pane, in the "Online help" group of WINDEV menu) allows you to start the online help.
- The help can be displayed:
- in an Internet browser, if you have access to Internet:
- in a specific "help browser":
Note: If you have no access to Internet
|We advise you to check the online help on Internet rather than the local online help. Indeed, the online help on Internet is updated on a regular basis. |
The online help of WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile on Internet is available from any computer equipped with an Internet access, without the product being necessarily installed.
Each Web user can add comments about the documentation pages: personal notes, examples, links, ...
, you have the ability to start the local help from the product:
- On the "Home" pane, in the "Environment" group, expand "Options" and select "General options of WINDEV".
- In the "Help" tab, select:
- the access mode to the help.
- the help content: WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile common help or help only for the product currently used.
If you are familiar with WINDEV 23...
If you are familiar with WINDEV 23, following this tutorial will do no harm: it's a good opportunity to "review" the WINDEV features!
WINDEV is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It allow you to develop applications in many fields:
- Stock management, inventory, product tracking,
- Adjustment and monitoring of machines on an assembly line,
- Taking orders for fast processing in a temporary outlet (fairs, schools, booth, ...),
- Customer forms,
- Help with making snap decisions on a cell phone,
- Checking the identity of visitors at an event: trade fair, presentation of products, ...
- On-call doctors or vets,
- Taking information in a temporary outlet: trade fair, street poll, stadium, ...
WINDEV is an integrated development environment that includes all the tools required to develop an application.
Unlike other programming languages, there is no need to find and add modules to be able to design, check and install an application.
The 5GL (5th Generation Language) of WINDEV, named WLanguage, will surprise you by its simplicity: a few hours are all you need to get the hang of it, a week is usually all it takes to fully master its potential!
No more programming hassle, WLanguage is available in English and in French!
Click [Add] to post a comment