- Preliminary points
- Overview of tutorial
- Legend of symbols used in this guide
- How to access the online help?
- If you are familiar with WEBDEV 22...
- What is WEBDEV used for?
: This manual is a tutorial. We advise you to check the online help when using WEBDEV.
The purpose of the tutorial is to help you discover WEBDEV, become familiar with the editors and teach you the concepts of WEBDEV.
This manual does not cover all WEBDEV features.
You should plan on spending a few hours to follow this course and to learn WEBDEV: this is a good investment!
If you try to develop a site before following this tutorial, you will loose time, and a lot more than the few hours you would have spent on this tutorial.
This tutorial was designed to be followed in two different ways:
- either you follow all the detailed exercises in each lesson (recommended method).
- or, if you are in a hurry and already experienced, you can read it without doing the exercises (all the exercises have screen shots). However, in order to quickly assimilate the main concepts, we recommend that you follow the tutorial step by step.
WEBDEV evolving all the time, the screen shots found in this tutorial may differ from the windows and pages displayed in your product.
The tutorial was designed to progressively teach you how to use WEBDEV. By following this course:
- you will discover the main concepts explained informally ; these are the concepts you must learn and understand.
- you will also be asked to perform operations that illustrate the concepts just explained.
As you progress through the tutorial, if you want to take a closer look at a concept or if you want to get more details about a programming function, see the online help (accessible from the editors).
The size of a lesson is not necessarily proportional to its relevance...
Don't forget to also take a look at the examples supplied with WEBDEV: they are very instructive!
Legend of symbols used in this guide
|This symbol indicates the duration of the lesson. Please note that the actual time may vary according to your level of experience.|
|An example is available to complement the lesson. The examples are available in the WEBDEV home window.|
|This symbol introduces a "Tip": reading the associated text is strongly recommended.|
|This symbol introduces a "Warning": reading the associated text is essential.|
|This symbol introduces a "Note": reading the associated text is recommended.|
|This symbol introduces a feature specific to Internet: reading the associated text is strongly recommended. |
How to access the online help?
The online help of WEBDEV allows you to get detailed information about the 3500 WLanguage functions. It also contains the help about the editors and the controls, tips, ...
The online help is available at any time in WEBDEV:
- In the code editor, a specific help is available for each function via the F1 key.
- Each dialog box displayed by WEBDEV proposes a button allowing you to access the corresponding help page.
- The help menu of the editors ("Help" option available on the "Home" pane, in the "Online help" group of the WEBDEV menu) allows you to start the online help.
- The help can be displayed:
- in an Internet browser, if you have access to Internet (default mode):
- in a specific "help browser":
Note: If you have no access to Internet
|We advise you to check the online help on Internet rather than the local online help. Indeed, the online help on Internet is updated on a regular basis. |
The online help of WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile on Internet is available from any computer equipped with an Internet access, without the product being necessarily installed. This help is updated on a regular basis.
Each Web user can add comments about the documentation pages: personal notes, examples, links, ...
, you have the ability to start the local help from the product:
- On the "Home" pane, in the "Environment" group, expand "Options" and select "General options of WEBDEV".
- In the "Help" tab, select:
- the access mode to the help database.
- the help content: help common to WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile or help for the product currently used.
If you are familiar with WEBDEV 22...
If you are familiar with WEBDEV 22, following this tutorial will do no harm: it's a good opportunity to "review" the WEBDEV features!
WEBDEV is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It allows you to develop Internet and Intranet sites in many fields:
- E-commerce (sales, rentals, bookings, ...),
- Multimedia (description of companies, "showroom" sites, ...),
- Intranet (logins, secure accesses, ...),
WEBDEV is a full development environment that includes all the tools required for developing and maintaining Internet or Intranet sites.
Unlike other programming languages, there is no need to find and add modules to be able to design, check and deploy a site.
The WEBDEV 5GL (5th Generation Language), WLanguage, will surprise you by its simplicity: a few hours are all you need to get the hang of it, a week is usually all it takes to fully master its potential!
No more programming hassle, WLanguage is available in English and in French!
Click [Add] to post a comment