- Operating mode
- Application in the background: Specific case from Android 10
In french: SynthèseVocaleLitFichier
Reads the content of the specified file by using the engine for speech synthesis found on the device.
<Result> = SpeechSynthesisReadFile(<Name and path of text file> [, <Locking>])
- True if the file content was read (locking mode) or if the file content was added to the reading queue (non-locking mode),
- False in case of failure. If an error occurs, the ErrorOccurred variable is set to True. To get more details on the error, use ErrorInfo.
<Name and path of text file>: Character string
Name and full (or relative) path of text file to read.
<Locking>: Optional boolean
- True: the function is run in locking mode. The code following the call to the function will be run once the entire file is read or when the function fails. An hourglass will be displayed during the read operation. Use NextTitle to customize the message displayed by the hourglass.
This runtime mode is not available.
- False (default value): the function is run in non-locking mode. The code following the call to the function will be run as soon as the reading of the file starts or when the function fails.
- Speech synthesis functions are only available on devices with Android 1.6 or higher (API level 4).
A fatal error occurs if the function is used with an earlier system version.
To determine the version of Android the application is running on, use SysAndroidVersion.
- Speech synthesis functions are only available on devices with iOS 7 and higher. The speech synthesis does not operate on the iOS 8 emulators.
- If no engine for speech synthesis is installed on the device, its download will be automatically proposed.
- If a new read operation is triggered while another read operation is in progress, the new read operation will start once the first one is over.
To know whether a read operation is in progress on the speech synthesis engine, use SpeechSynthesisInProgress.
To stop the current read operations, use SpeechSynthesisStop.
- To define the parameters that will be used by the engine for speech synthesis (language, reading speed, etc.), use SpeechSynthesisInitialize.
If the speech synthesis parameters have not been previously defined by SpeechSynthesisInitialize, the default parameters will be used and the language for text reading will be the first language available for the speech synthesis engine according to the following sequence:
- Application language (default language or language defined by Nation),
- Language of device,
- Default language of engine for speech synthesis.
- To read the content of a character string, use SpeechSynthesisReadText.
- To adjust the volume, use VolumeModify with the volumeMusic constant.
Required application feature
When this function is used, an application feature is declared in the application generation wizard.
Required feature: Microphone: This feature allows the applications to perform audio recordings.
Application in the background: Specific case from Android 10
From Android 10, it is no longer possible to open a window when the application is in the background.
SpeechSynthesisReadFile can open a window. If this function is used while the application is in the background, a fatal error will occur.
- It is possible to determine if the application is in the background using InBackgroundMode.
- If an application needs to interact with the user while it is in the background, the solution is to display a notification (via the Notification type). The application will be brought back to the foreground when the notification is clicked, if the ActivateApplication property is set to True. You can also open a window from the procedure passed to the ActionClick property.
This page is also available for…