- Features of the dialog box
- Line break in the dialog box
- Displaying the last error message
- Application in the background: Specific case from Android 10
In french: Erreur
Displays a custom error message in a system error window.
- This is a modal warning window. To continue running the application, the user must click "OK".
To avoid blocking the application, use ErrorAsynchronous.
- WINDEV allows you to apply the skin template of your project to this dialog box. For more details, see Customizing dialog boxes.
- In a Webservice, Error is used to define the error returned by the Webservice. If Error is called multiple times, the error messages are concatenated.
Displaying a custom error message Hide the details
Error(<Text> [, <Line 2> [... [, <Line n>]]])
<Text>: Character string
Text to display.
<Line 2>: Optional character string
Text displayed on the second line.
<Line n>: Optional character string
Text displayed on the Nth line.
Features of the dialog box
- The title of the dialog box corresponds to the title of the current window (or page).
To comply with the system specifications, the title of dialog box is empty by default. To define this title, use NextTitle.
- To modify or define the title of dialog box, use NextTitle.
- The message is aligned to the left.
- The button caption depends on the runtime language of Windows.
- The maximum number of characters cannot exceed 4096. If a larger string is passed as parameter, it will be truncated.
- The icon displayed (white cross) cannot be modified.
To customize this dialog box
(and all the system dialog boxes in your application), check "Customize system windows (Info, YesNo, Confirm, Dialog)" in the "Style" tab of the project description. For more details, see Customizing dialog boxes
Line break in the dialog box
The CR string (Carriage Return) can be used to force a break to the next line. For example:
Error("An error was detected while entering the address." + CR + ...
"Please modify the customer details.")
is equivalent to:
Error("An error was detected while entering the address. ", ...
"Please modify the customer details.")
You also have the ability to use the syntax of multiline strings. For example:
An error was detected while entering the address.
Please modify the customer details.
- Timers (TimerSys) are not stopped when this function is called.
- Windows events are not stopped when this function is called.
- You can use the code wizard to enter the function in the code editor. Depending on the characteristics entered in the wizard, the function used can be different in the code that is automatically generated.
- DelayBeforeClosing limits the display time of all dialog boxes. The dialog box is automatically closed. For question or confirmation dialog boxes, the default button corresponds to the expected answer.
To limit the display duration of an Error dialog box only, use ErrorWithTimeout.
- The caption of the button is displayed in the language used by Windows on the current computer.
- This function must not be used:
- in the "Resizing" event of the window. Otherwise, the application will be locked.
- in the "Changing the orientation" event of the window.
- in the "Move to the foreground" event associated with the project.
Remark: However, the function can be used in the "Move to the foreground" event of a window.
- in a thread.
Application in the background: Specific case from Android 10
From Android 10, it is no longer possible to open a window when the application is in the background.
Error can open a window. If this function is used while the application is in the background, a fatal error will occur.
- It is possible to determine if the application is in the background using InBackgroundMode.
- If an application needs to interact with the user while it is in the background, the solution is to display a notification (via the Notification type). The application will be brought back to the foreground when the notification is clicked, if the ActivateApplication property is set to True. You can also open a window from the procedure passed to the ActionClick property.
Business / UI classification: UI Code
This page is also available for…