- Reading a bar code in a WINDEV application
- Reading bar codes with a WINDEV application: Using a specialized device
- Reading a QR Code bar code found in an image (physical image or memory image)
- Reading a bar code in a WEBDEV site
- Reading a bar code in an Android application
- Reading a bar code in an iPhone/iPad application
WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile allow you to create applications for reading bar codes.
- In WINDEV, the bar codes are read via a specific device plugged into the serial port of the computer.
For the QR Code bar codes, you also have the ability to read a bar code found in an image.
For more details, see Reading a bar code in a WINDEV application.
Reading a bar code in a WINDEV application
Reading bar codes with a WINDEV application: Using a specialized device
To read a bar code via a specialized device:
- Connect a specific device to the serial port of your computer (depending on the device used, check whether the keyboard is not set to uppercase characters and/or whether the device is configured for an english keyboard).
- Read the value of the bar code with the following functions for managing serial ports:
- sOpen, which opens and initializes the specified serial port (or parallel port).
- sRead, which reads a string in the input buffer of the specified serial port.
The value of the bar code can be displayed in an edit control.
Remark: A Bar Code control can also be used in the window editor.
Example used to read a bar code with a specific device connected to the serial port COM1:
// Declare the variables
// Define the number of characters that must be read
nNbCharToRead is int = 13
// Number of pending bytes in the buffer
nNbPendingByte is int
sBuffer is string // Content of the buffer
nSerialPort is int = 1 // COM1 serial port
// Open and initialize the serial port COM1
IF sOpen(nSerialPort, 5000, 5000) THEN
// Read the bar code
// Retrieve the number of pending bytes
nNbPendingByte = sInEntryQueue(nSerialPort)
// Retrieve the value of the bar code only
// if at least 13 characters have been read
IF nNbPendingByte >= nNbCharToRead THEN
sBuffer = sRead(nSerialPort, nNbPendingByte)
// Retrieve the first 13 characters read
sBuffer = Left(sBuffer, 13)
// Display the value of the bar code
// in the "EDT_BarCode" edit control
EDT_BarCode = sBuffer
Reading a QR Code bar code found in an image (physical image or memory image)
To read a QR Code bar code found in an image:
- Select the image that contains the bar code to decode. This image can be:
- an image in an Image control.
- an image file.
- an image in memory.
- Declare a BarCode variable if necessary. The characteristics of the QR Code bar code will be saved in this variable.
- Use BCDecode to decode the QR Code.
Example: Reading a bar code read by a Web Camera and stored in memory:
// Decode a QR Code from a Camera control
s is Buffer
s = dSaveImageBMP(CAM_MyCamera, inMemory)
bc is BarCode
bc = BCDecode(s)
IF ErrorOccurred = False _AND_ bc.TypeBarCode = BC_QRCODE ...
_AND_ bc.TypeContent = bcTypeEmail THEN
Info("Email address: " + bc.Content)
Reading a bar code in a WEBDEV site
Reading a bar code in an Android application
Reading a bar code in an iPhone/iPad application
Unit examples (WINDEV): The Bar Code control
[ + ]
Using a Bar Code control
This page is also available for…