- Switching from an HFSQL Classic database to an HFSQL Client/Server database
- The different steps are as follows
- Step 1: Install an HFSQL Client/Server server if necessary
- Step 2: Configuring the different products for using the Control Centers in Client/Server mode
- Step 2: Tip
- Using the Control Centers in Client/Server mode
- Specific features of Client/Server
- Managing contributors
- Using the Feedback component with the Control Centers in Client/Server mode
- Operations that must be performed in the applications that use the Feedback component
Using the Control Centers in Client/Server mode
All the Control Centers supplied with WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile use the same database. This database can be a database in HFSQL Classic format or in HFSQL Client/Server format.
If you are already using the Control Centers, you have the ability to import the HFSQL Classic data into a Client/Server database. In this case, the data found in the Control Centers will also be available via ADSL. Therefore, it is easier for the developers to work remotely.
This documentation page explains how to switch from an HFSQL Classic database to an HFSQL Client/Server database.
Important: With a database of Control Centers in HFSQL Client/Server format:
Remark: From version 19, HFSQL is the new name of HyperFileSQL.
- the "Guest" connection mode of the Control Centers is not available anymore.
- the mobile mode is not available for the Control Centers.
- all the contributors of Control Centers are defined as users of the HFSQL Client/Server database.
- if your WINDEV applications use the "Feedback" component: to manage the user feedback, the applications must be modified. This modification is required if you are using the connected mode or ADSL (modification not required if the user feedback is performed by emails). For more details, see Using Feedback in ADSL.
Switching from an HFSQL Classic database to an HFSQL Client/Server database
The different steps are as follows
- Install an HFSQL Client/Server server if necessary.
- Configure the Control Centers to use the HFSQL Client/Server database.
Remark: the HFSQL Client/Server database for the Control Centers will be empty upon creation.
- Use the Control Centers.
Step 1: Install an HFSQL Client/Server server if necessary
To use the Control Centers with an HFSQL Client/Server database, an HFSQL Client/Server server must be installed on a computer. The data files of Control Centers will be installed on this server.
To install HFSQL Client/Server, start your product setup pack and click "Setup of HFSQL Client/Server".
Remark: In WINDEV, the setup program of an HFSQL Client/Server server is supplied in the "\Install\HFSQL server" subdirectory of the setup directory of your product.
Step 2: Configuring the different products for using the Control Centers in Client/Server mode
When the data found in the Control Centers is in HFSQL Client/Server format, all the users of WINDEV, WEBDEV, WINDEV Mobile and/or Control Centers must specify the new format of the database to use.
This indication can be given:
- when installing WINDEV, WEBDEV or WINDEV Mobile.
- in the options of WINDEV, WEBDEV or WINDEV Mobile:
- On the "Home" pane, in the "Environment" group, expand "Options" and select "General options of WINDEV/WEBDEV/WINDEV Mobile".
- In the "User" tab, click the "Parameters of Control Centers" button.
- in the parameters of the Project Monitoring Center: expand and select "Options".
All you have to do is specify:
- the database in HFSQL Client/Server mode.
- the name or IP address of the server.
- the port used.
- the database used.
Once the access mode to the data of Control Centers is configured, the Control Centers are used according to the same method.
Step 2: Tip
To simplify the configuration of the different computers that use the Control Centers, you have the ability to create a .reg file that can be run by each user on his computer.
This .reg file must contain the following information:
"PortConnexionHF_CS"=dword:0000<Hexadecimal port value>
To find out the hexadecimal value of the port, open the Windows calculator (calc.exe) in scientific mode, enter the decimal value of the port (4988 for example) and click "Hex". The hexadecimal value is displayed (137C in our example).
Using the Control Centers in Client/Server mode
Specific features of Client/Server
In Client/Server mode:
- The "Guest" mode is not available.
- The mobile mode is not available for the Control Centers.
For security reasons (especially when using an ADSL connection), we recommend that you change the password of the administrator accounts. All the accounts must have a password.
Two groups are automatically created on the HFSQL Client/Server server:
- "Contributors of Control Centers".
- "Administrators of Control Centers".
The rights granted to these groups are configured for using the Control Centers in Client/Server mode. These two groups have the rights to create files.
If an HFSQL Classic database was imported and if "Add the contributors of Control Centers to the list of users of the HFSQL server" was checked:
- the contributors with administrator rights are automatically associated with the "Administrators of Control Centers" group,
- the other contributors are automatically associated with the "Contributors of Control Centers" group.
If a new HFSQL Client/Server database was created or if "Add the contributors of Control Centers to the list of users of the HFSQL server" was not checked, the following screen will be displayed when the contributors establish the connection:
This screen also appears if a new user tries to log in.
This screen is used to:
- Re-enter the name/password: if an error occurred during the identification.
- Create the account: for a new user or if the existing contributors were not imported. In this case, the new contributors with administrator rights are automatically associated with the "Administrators of Control Centers" group and the other new contributors are automatically associated with the "Contributors of Control Centers" group.
- Work in restricted mode: allows you to work with a local database (network problem, problem with the HFSQL server, ...). Caution: the information entered in this mode will not be applied to the database of Control Centers.
Using the Feedback component with the Control Centers in Client/Server mode
The Feedback component included in your applications allows the users to easily send notes and suggestions about your application. These messages can be sent:
- in online mode: If WINDEV, WEBDEV or WINDEV Mobile is installed on the user computer and if the data of Control Centers is accessible, the suggestions and the incidents will be immediately saved in the "User Feedback" spool of your application (if this one is saved in the Project Monitoring Center).
- in offline mode (by emails): In the other cases, the suggestions and the incidents will be emailed to the address of your choice. The Project Monitoring Center allows you to retrieve the emails sent in order to save them in the "User feedback" spool of your application.
If you are using the online mode, a modification must be made to your applications in for the Control Centers to be managed in Client/Server mode.
This modification must be performed just after switching the database of Control Centers to Client/Server mode. All the applications must be updated at the same time to prevent from using the HFSQL Classic and HFSQL Client/Server databases simultaneously.
For the network applications, we recommend that you "Force the update".
Operations that must be performed in the applications that use the Feedback component
If your application uses the UMC, disable the use of Hxxx functions in the UMC (uncheck "Allow the use of HFSQL read commands", e.g., in the executable creation wizard).
If your application uses an automatic menu, the setting must be modified in order to access the Client/Server database of Control Centers. To do so:
- Display the window that uses the automatic menu: on the "Window" pane, in the "Bars and menus" group, expand "Main menu" and select "Open the '?' menu".
- Edit the code of "Send a suggestion, an incident, a business rule" option.
- Modify the code line used to specify the path of the data files. To use the Control Centers in Client/Server mode, the new code line to use is as follows:
In this code:
- <user>: Name of a user of the HFSQL server.
- <password>: Password associated with the user.
- <server>: IP address or name of the server where the HFSQL server and the database of Control Centers are installed.
- <port>: Server port.
- <database>: Name of the HFSQL Client/Server database corresponding to the files of Control Centers.
Remark: if you update the automatic menu of your application, this code line will be automatically updated with the name of the current developer.
If your application uses the Feedback component directly, the configuration of the path of data files must be modified (Configure method of the component, with the fbPathCCData parameter). See above.
This page is also available for…