The AJAX technology is available in native mode in WEBDEV and in the PHP sites developed with WEBDEV.
What is AJAX and what are its advantages?
This technology presents several benefits:
- the server is less used. Therefore, it can support a larger number of simultaneous connections.
- the information that circulates is less bulky.
- the transmission time is shorted.
- the user sees information immediately and without undesired visual effects.
AJAX can be used at two different levels in a WEBDEV site:
- Automatic AJAX: a simple click allows you to access the AJAX features. The code remains the same.
- AJAX programming: functions for AJAX management allow you to write complex processes.
The former browsers do not support the AJAX technology (Internet Explorer 5.5 and later, FireFox 1.0 and later, Netscape 7 and later, Opera 8 and later, Safari 1.2 and later, ...). AJAXAvailable
is used to determine if the current browser supports AJAX technology. If a process that is using the AJAX technology is run on a browser that does not support this technology, the process is run "as if" it did not use the AJAX technology (the entire page is refreshed for example).