- How to use the different types of legends?
- Handling the category labels
- Handling the series labels
- Handling the chart caption
- Handling the chart title
- Handling the title of chart axes
Several types of legends are supported in the charts. The name of these legends differ according to their positions:
- Series labelAll the labels of series correspond to the chart legend.
- Category label
- Chart captionThe chart caption can include three elements:
- the labels of categories
- the value of categories
- the percentage of categories
- Chart title
- Title of axes
How to use the different types of legends?
Handling the category labels
The category labels are displayed:
- below the horizontal marks for the Line charts and Stock charts (Candlestick and BarCharts),
- below the X-axis for the column charts and MinMax charts.
The category labels cannot be used with the Scatter charts.
The category labels defined by grCategoryLabel
can be displayed in the caption of the Pie chart (grShowLabel
constant used with grLabel
Special case: the date or date-time category labels
A Chart control can display Date category labels. The option "Scale of X-coordinates spaced out according to time" ("General" tab in the description window of Chart control) is used to get a proper distribution of labels.
If the Chart control displays X-coordinates in DateTime format, a zoom performed by the user on the chart will be used to get a time scale with several levels, for each time unit.
The display and presentation of year, months and days is automatic
The possible levels are as follows:
- The minimum level to display is defined according to the range of data.
- The maximum level is defined by using two parameters:
- The maximum number of levels to display in the chart (3 by default).
- The maximum level allowed for the display (by default: year).
The following functions are used to configure the levels displayed:
|grTimeLevelMask||Defines the display mask for a level of time scale in a chart.|
|grTimeLevelMax||Defines the number of levels to display in the time scale of a chart as well as the maximum level.|
Handling the series labels
The set of series labels correspond to the chart legend.
Series labels cannot be used in pie charts.
indicates the presence and position of the legend (i. e. all series labels).
: To define series labels in "Scatter" charts, we recommend that you use grScatterSeriesLabel
Handling the chart caption
The chart caption can include three elements:
- the labels of categories,
- the value of categories,
- the percentage of categories.
The chart caption can be displayed for the pie charts, column charts and stacked column charts only.
is used to display the different elements of the chart caption. Different elements are displayed according to the type of chart.
The category labels displayed correspond to the ones defined by grCategoryLabel
The value of categories depends on the chart data.
The percentage of categories is automatically calculated.
The information display can be formatted by grMask
Handling the chart title
The chart title can be displayed above or below the chart.
The content of the chart title is defined with grTitle
. This function can also be used to set the position of the title.
The font used for the chart title can be modified by grTitleFont
Handling the title of chart axes
The title of chart axes can be displayed for the different axes.
The content of the title for the chart axes is defined by grAxisTitle
. This function can also be used to position this title according to the requested axis. You cannot define the positioning and/or the orientation of the title in relation to the axis.
The font used for the title of the chart axes can be modified by grAxisTitleFont
This page is also available for…