- SCM options
- General options
- Options regarding the messaging
- Options regarding the branches
- Advanced options
- Managing the SCM
- Configuring the authentication
- Canceling check-outs
- Repository backup
- Saving and clearing the history
- Restoring a full backup
- Restoring a history backup
- Maintaining the SCM
- Migrating the repository to the most recent format
- Switching the repository to Client/Server
- Re-index and repair
- Repairing a directory
- Performing a search in the SCM
- Various options
- My Projects
- Computer renamed or changed
SCM administrator: available tools
The SCM administrator (Source Code Manager) allows you to:
These tools can only be used by an administrator.
To configure the SCM options, on the "Tools" tab, in the "Option" group, click "Options".
The "General" tab of SCM options is used to configure the display of dialog boxes during an actions performed by the SCM. A dialog box can be displayed when:
- Checking in without modification.
- Adding files into the repository.
- Updating the dependencies of an element.
- Requesting a check-out explicitly (via the toolbar for example).
- Signaling that a project was successfully added.
The image of corresponding dialog box is displayed when the different options are hovered by the mouse cursor.
Options regarding the messaging
The "Messaging" tab of SCM options is used to specify whether the integrated messaging must be used. In this case, messages can be sent to the other users (request to unlock, information about the check-in operations, etc.).
If necessary, you can ask to send a message to the users of SCM whenever an element is checked back into the SCM.
Options regarding the branches
The "Branches" tab is used to configure the path created by default when using branches.
This tab allows you to specify the remote and local directories used by default when creating a branch. For more details, see Managing branches
The "Advanced" tab is used to configure the repository performance for an HFSQL Client/Server repository accessed by ADSL.
In some cases, "Limit the size of packets for ADSL" is used to manage the specific features of some routers.
Caution: If this option is not used properly, it may slow down the SCM.
The administration tools are available only when connecting to the SCM repository as Administrator. To connect to the SCM repository as an administrator, on the "Home" tab, in the "Repository" group, click "Connection "..
In the window that appears:
- Specify the characteristics of the repository used.
- Specify the name and password of the repository administrator:
- If you are using an SCM repository in HFSQL Classic format, administrator corresponds to "Admin" by default (without password).
- If you are using an SCM repository in HFSQL Client/Server format, administrator corresponds to the "Administrator" user by default.
Remark: Establishing a connection to the SCM repository as administrator differs from "Become master on the project". To perform the management operations, you must be connected as administrator.
Configuring the authentication
Configuring the authentication allows you to use the database of Control Centers to authenticate the SCM users. The login and password are the ones specified in the Project Monitoring Center.
This option is available only if you are working with an SCM repository in HFSQL Classic format.
To enable the authentication:
- On the "Management" tab, in the "Security" group, click "Authentication settings".
- Check "Enable authentication".
- Specify the database of Control Centers used (in HFSQL Classic format).
The administrator can cancel all ongoing check-outs in the selected project: on the "Management" tab, in the "Check-outs" group, click "Undo check-outs".
A window lists all checked-out elements. You can also list the elements checked out for tests or the elements checked out in a different remote directory.
Simply select the desired elements and click "Undo check-out". The check-out is canceled. The element is in the repository in its status before the check-out.
You have the ability to inform the users ("Send a message to the ones whose check-out was canceled").
The administrator can make a backup copy of the SCM repository: on the "Management" tab, in the "Backups" group, click "Full backup". This backup copy is saved to a .ZIP file.
Remark: During the backup, the SCM repository can be accessed in read-only.
The backup of the repository can also be performed in a command line via the following notation:
/BASE=<Address of the repository>
/ZIP=<Full name of zip file>
In this code, <Address of the repository> has the following format:
- For HFSQL Client/Server: "CS:\\\\<IP address of server>:<Server port>\\<Name of SCM repository>"
- For HFSQL Classic: the local path of the repository must be specified. For example: "D:\\PC SOFT\\Local SCM repository\\"
ExeRun("""C:\WINDEV\Programs\WDSCMAdmin.exe"" /SAVE /BASE=CS:\\DOC2:4900\GDS " + ...
" /LOGIN=admin /PASS=admin /ZIP=C:\Temp\test.zip")
Saving and clearing the history
The administrator has the ability to delete part of the history from the SCM repository: on the "Management" tab, in the "Backups" group, click "Clear history with backup". The deleted part is automatically saved in a file in .ZIP format. This backup can be restored thereafter.
To save and clear the history, specify the date from which the history must be stored.
Restoring a full backup
To restore a full backup of the repository, on the "Management" tab, in the "Backups" group, click "Full restore".
Restoring a history backup
To restore a backup of the repository history, on the "Management" tab, in the "Backups" group, click"Restore history".
The SCM administrator proposes several maintenance options. These options allow you to optimize and manage the SCM repository at any time.
Migrating the repository to the most recent format
To migrate the SCM repository to a more recent format, go to the "Tools" tab, "Maintenance" group, and click "Migrate to most recent format ". This format optimizes the accesses to the database.
Remark: To use this option, the SCM repository must not be directly installed on a share name.
For example, if the files are installed on "\\\\Server\\SCM" where "SCM" is the name of the shared directory, the option will not operate. The files must be installed in a directory such as "\\\\Server\\SCM\\SCMRepository"
If this is not the case, the data files can be moved manually (all users must be disconnected). The next time a project is opened, you will have to specify the new directory of the SCM repository.
Switching the repository to Client/Server
To start the wizard and switch the repository to HFSQL Client/Server mode, go to the "Tools" tab, "Maintenance" group, and click "Switch to Client/Server".
This operation can be performed only if an HFSQL Client/Server engine is installed on the server where the SCM repository must be installed.
You must specify:
- The server name.
- The database name and port.
- The name and password of an HFSQL database administrator.
Depending on the size of the SCM repository, migrating the repository may take quite a long time.
At the end of this operation, the SCM proposes to automatically create the user account corresponding to the connected user (if this account does not exist).
The next time the project is opened, you will have to specify the new parameters for connecting to SCM.
Remark: The SCM repository in "Classic" mode is not deleted. Once the migration to the HFSQL Client/Server format is over, you must inform all the users in order for them to change their parameters for connecting to the SCM repository.
Re-index and repair
On the "Tools" tab, in the "Maintenance" group, click "Reindex and repair". This option is used to:
- Reindex the SCM repository (whether it is in HFSQL Classic mode or in HFSQL Client/Server mode).
- Cancel the locked transactions on the SCM repository.
- Analyze and repair the SCM repository.
Repairing a directory
In some case, repairing a directory is used to fix some problems regarding the access to the data found in an SCM directory. This option is used to repair the directory without locking the SCM repository during this operation.
To repair a directory:
- Select the directory to repair in the list of directories of the SCM repository.
- On the "Tools" tab, in the "Maintenance" group, click "Repair a directory". This option is used to repair the SCM repository for this directory.
Remark: If necessary, the SCM automatically propose to repair the directory only (instead of repairing the entire SCM repository).
Performing a search in the SCM
Several search modes are available in the SCM repository:
- Search by name (on the "Tools" tab, in the "Find" group, click "By name"): This option is used to easily find an element in the SCM repository. Simply specify the name of the element to search for.
- Search by check-out (on the "Tools" tab, in the "Find" group, click "By check-out"): This option is used to find the check-outs according to the user (current user, specific user, all the users) and to the type of check-out (for test, exclusive, etc.). You have the ability to check in an element or to cancel a check-out.
- Search by task or incident: This option is used to find the elements corresponding to the execution of a task or incident. You can see the changes made.
- Search in the history: This option is used to perform a search in the history of actions performed in this SCM. This allows you to get all comments typed between two dates and to export them into a file. For more details, see Search in SCM history.
To list the projects with a local directory on the current computer:
- On the "Tools" tab, in the "Find" group, click "My projects".
- In the window that appears, specify the desired login if necessary and click "Find".
- The remote directory and the local directory are displayed for each project found.
You have the ability to delete the association between the remote directory and the local directory ("Delete the association" button). This option is useful when a project of SCM was opened then deleted from the local computer: by deleting the association, the user will no longer receive the automatic messages of SCM regarding this project.
Computer renamed or changed
The option "Tools .. Rename or change computer" is used to update the name of the computer used in the SCM. For more details, see Renaming or changing computer
The option "Tools .. Statistics" is used to get statistical calculations about the SCM repository.
This page is also available for…