- Executable information
- Version of the executable
Creating an executable: Information and version number
The version information of an executable corresponds to the information visible in the Windows file explorer. This information is displayed in the "Version" or "Details" tab of the executable file's properties window.
Remark: To create the executable, use one of the following methods:
- On the "Project" tab, in the "Generation" group, click "Generate".
- Expand in the quick access buttons and select "Generate the 32-bit Windows executable (exe)" or "Generate the 64-bit Windows executable (exe)".
This information can be retrieved through programming with ExeInfo
. This information is as follows:
- the name of the company. For example, the name of the publisher.
- a short description of the application purpose. For example: "Inventory management".
- the copyright of the application
- the URL of the Web site: You can specify the URL of your site for example.
- the email address: Email address where the users of the application can contact you.
This address will also be used by the Feedback component to send suggestions and to notify problems regarding your application. Reminder
: The Feedback component is automatically added to your application by the automatic? menu (help menu of the application)
Version of the executable
The version of an executable
is used to identify the features available (or not) in the application used by the user. But this version is also very important because if the application is used in network, the version enables you to find out whether an update is available and necessary. This version number can be retrieved through programming with ExeInfo
Two formats are available for the version numbers:
- Format for compatibility. This format was used until version 12 for the WINDEV applications.
Remark: All the characters (digits and letters) are allowed. For example: "1.01A".
If the application must be installed in network, we advise you to:
- use a different version number whenever the executable program is created. Indeed, when installing an update, this version number is used to check whether the update is mandatory or not.
- automatically increment the last characters (digit or letter) of version number whenever the executable program is created (check "Automatically increment the version at each generation").
- the version number "1.01A" will become "1.01B".
- the version number "A15Z" will become "A16A".
- Standard format. This format is the standard format managed by Windows. This format corresponds to a set of 4 numbers separated by dots.
- The first group of 4 digits corresponds to the number of major changes performed in the application.
- The second group of 4 digits corresponds to the number of minor changes performed in the application.
- The third group of 4 digits corresponds to the generation number.
We advise you to automatically increment this number at each generation. This increment operation is automatically performed if the option "Automatically increment the version at each generation" is checked.
- The last group of 4 digits corresponds to the number of reviews (branches in the SCM for example).