- Compatibility with WINDEV 5.5
From version 24
, this feature is kept for backward compatibility. It is recommended to use window, page, report and control templates to reuse elements combined with the Source Code Manager (SCM).
The dictionary is a file that can contain the project elements: description of data files, items, windows, etc. The dictionary is a convenient way to store the created elements so that they can be re-used in new projects.
When reusing a dictionary element, this element can "subscribe" to the modifications. Whenever the object found in the dictionary is modified, this modification can be applied to all the subscriber objects that can "follow" the evolution of the dictionary.
A dictionary can be associated with a user: it is called the user dictionary. In this case, it can be permanently displayed in the "Dictionary" pane.
A dictionary can also be used to simplify teamwork: a dictionary shared among several developers can contain procedures, preset buttons. These objects are shared and they can be accessed by all the developers.
The management of developer groupware on the dictionary and on its elements is used to restrict the access to the dictionary (or to its objects) for some developers.
The dictionary is a file containing a set of elements: procedures, windows, controls, ... A dictionary can be handled from the "Dictionary" pane.
When handling a dictionary, you have the ability to:
- Create a new dictionary or open an existing dictionary.
- Add elements (windows, reports, ...) into the dictionary.
- Copy elements from the dictionary.
When an element is added by Drag and Drop from the dictionary or to the dictionary, a subscription is proposed. If the subscription is accepted:
- Whenever the project element is opened, WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile check whether this element is updated in relation to the element found in the dictionary and proposes to update it if necessary.
- Whenever a modified element is closed, WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile proposes to update the object found in the dictionary.
Compatibility with WINDEV 5.5
To migrate an existing 5.5 dictionary, we advise you to:
- Create a blank window.
- Add all the dictionary elements into the window.
- Migrate the window.
- Re-create the dictionary in WINDEV 28.
This page is also available for…