- In this lesson you will learn the following concepts
- Starting WINDEV Mobile
- Development environment
- The ribbon (menu bar) in detail
- Options of the environment
Lesson 1.1. Discover WINDEV Mobile
In this lesson you will learn the following concepts
WINDEV Mobile is a complete DevOps Integrated Development Environment that facilitates the development of Android, iOS and Universal Windows (Windows 10) applications, ... in several fields: business, industrial, medical, hospitality, etc. The applications can access information stored in databases.
Throughout this tutorial, you will learn how to create your applications (with or without a database) and how to enrich them using the numerous features available in WINDEV Mobile.
- Start WINDEV Mobile 28 if necessary.
- If you haven't started WINDEV Mobile 28 before, a welcome wizard will appear.
- If you have worked with a previous version of WINDEV Mobile, this wizard allows you to retrieve existing configurations.
- If you are a new user, this wizard allows you to configure your environment. You will be able to choose the screen configuration and set up the Control Centers.
- If you have already started WINDEV Mobile 28, log in if necessary. The development environment opens up. The home page appears.
This home page allows you to:
- create a project,
- open an existing project,
- open an example,
- open one of the projects from the tutorial.
- Let's take a look at the WINDEV Mobile development environment. To do so, from the home page:
- Click "Tutorial".
- In "Part 1 - Lesson 1.1. Discover WINDEV Mobile", double-click "Android/iOS product management (Answers)".
- The corresponding project opens in the editor. The project dashboard is displayed. The project dashboard allows you to monitor the progress of a project via several widgets.
The WINDEV Mobile development environment includes a specific UI and several editors that allow you to create the different elements of your applications.
The window editor allows you to create windows, the report editor allows you to create reports, etc.
- To discover WINDEV Mobile, open the "Product form" window:
- Press Ctrl + E.
- In the window that appears, enter the name of the window to be opened: WIN_Product_form.
- Validate. The window appears in the editor.
All editors use the same environment:
- Menu of editors, displayed as a ribbon (we'll see how to use it in the next paragraph).
- Current editor (window editor in this case). The editor shows the element being created or modified in WYSIWYG mode (What You See Is What You Get).
- Panes. The WINDEV Mobile UI includes multiple panes that allow you to quickly access different types of information.
These panes can be hidden by pressing Ctrl + W if necessary.
- the "Project explorer" pane (left) lists all project elements by category.
- the search pane (bottom) allows you to perform searches in the entire project and its elements.
- Open document tabs. These tabs allow you to quickly see all open elements. Simply click a tab to open an element in its corresponding editor.
The ribbon (menu bar) in detail
The WINDEV Mobile menu bar is presented as a ribbon. This ribbon contains tabs in which the different options of the editors are grouped.
We will take a closer look at the most important elements of the ribbon and analyze how we will use them in this tutorial.
The ribbon includes 3 areas:
- the Buttons area, on the left (1).
- the Tabs area, at the top (2).
- the Options area (3).
Let's take a closer look at these areas.
The Buttons area (1)
The Tabs area (2)
|The Buttons area groups the quick access buttons. These buttons are used to perform the most usual operations, common to all editors: save, open, create, etc.|
You can open the "About" window from the logo of the IDE.
The different ribbon tabs allow you to access the options of the editors for the current project. Multiple types of tabs are available:
- the current tab: The tab name appears in bold and an orange line is displayed below the tab name.
- the context tabs, specific to the current element: The tab name appears in orange (or blue in the light theme).
- the available tabs: The tab name appears in white (or in black in the light theme).
The Options area (3)
The options in the ribbon change depending on the selected tab. Multiple types of options are available:
- Options to check,
- Buttons to click,
- Drop-down buttons used to expand options. Two types of drop-down buttons are available:
- drop-down buttons used to expand a menu
- split buttons used to expand a menu (click on the arrow), or to perform a default action (click on the button icon).
The options are organized by groups. Each group of options has a name and can have a dialog box launcher
. This button is used to perform a specific action according to the current group: open the description of the current element, open the help, etc.
In this tutorial, to indicate a menu option, we will refer to tabs and groups.. For example: To open the help, go to the "Home" tab, "Online help" group and click "Help".
Options of the environment
You can change many options of the environment:
- Theme: By default, the environment uses a dark theme. However, several themes are available:
- Light theme, grey ribbon. In this mode, the menu bar has no colors: it is grayed out.
- Gray theme. In this mode, the environment and windows of the interface are displayed on a light gray background.
- Dark theme. In this mode, the environment and windows of the interface are displayed on a black or dark gray background.
- Language: By default, the environment is displayed in English. You can change it to Spanish or French.
- Pane: Some panes are displayed by default in the environment ("Project explorer", etc.). You can choose which panes are displayed and set their position.
All these options can be found in the options of the environment. To change these options, go to the "Home" tab, "Environment" group, expand "Options" and select "General options of WINDEV Mobile". You can change many options of the environment in the different tabs of the window that appears.
Bear in mind that changing certain options may require restarting WINDEV Mobile.
We have covered the essentials of the WINDEV Mobile environment. In the next lesson, you will be able to create your first application for iOS and Android.
- To continue this tutorial, we will close the current project:
- On the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, expand "Close" and select "Close project".
- Save the changes if necessary.
- The WINDEV Mobile home page appears.