- In this lesson you will learn the following concepts
- Reminder : AWP mode
- The available methods
- SEO wizard
- Page properties
- Update frequency
- Importance in the site
- Navigation map
- Physical page names
In this lesson you will learn the following concepts
- SEO wizard.
- Page properties.
- Navigation map.
- Physical page names.
Estimated time: 20 mn
This lesson presents the best practices to adopt in order for your Internet site to be properly optimized in search engines. Having an Internet site is a good idea, but optimizing it for search engines is even better!
|This section concerns the developers of Internet sites only. SEO is not essential if you are developing an Intranet site.|
- Open the project you worked on in the previous lesson.
- Go to the WEBDEV home page (Ctrl + <).
- On the home page, click "Tutorial", then in "Parts 3 to 6", double-click "Full WEBDEV Site (Exercise)".
- A dialogue box prompts you to open the project you worked on in the previous lesson. You can open the local copy or the original project. Select "Open the local copy".
|A corrected project is available. This project allows you to perform the different operations in this lesson. To open the corrected project, go to the home page and click "Tutorial", then in "Parts 3 to 6", double-click "Full WEBDEV Site (Answers)".|
Reminder : AWP mode
At the beginning of this tutorial, we presented the differences between a WEBDEV site in Session mode and a WEBDEV site in AWP mode.
Only the AWP mode allows you to have page URLs that are independent, fixed and directly addressable.
To be optimized, an Internet site must necessarily be developed in AWP mode.
The available methods
WEBDEV proposes several tools to improve the search engine optimization of your Active WEBDEV Pages:
- An SEO wizard.
- The page properties.
- The navigation map.
We are going to present these different methods.
WEBDEV is provided with an SEO wizard.
- To start this wizard, go to the "Project" tab, "Web" group, expand "SEO" and select "SEO wizard".
The wizard proposes tips to improve search engine optimization. The most important tips are as follows:
- Page titles: The page titles must reflect the content and contain the important keywords. The page title is defined in the page description window, for each language.
- Page keywords: We advise you to associate keywords with a page. To define these keywords:
- Open the description window of "PAGE_List_of_new_products": open the context menu and select "Description".
- Go to the "Details" tab.
- In the "SEO" section, click "Edit expressions and keywords".
The window that appears allows you to enter the desired keywords. Close the different description windows.
- Alternative text: Alternative texts are used to replace images when they are not displayed (e.g., the user explicitly asked not to display the images, they are not loaded yet, or the user uses a browser in text mode or a screen reader).
Alternative texts describe the image and are indexed by search engines. Therefore, they must be chosen with great attention.
The alternative text of an image is defined in the Image control description window, in the "Help" tab.
- If necessary, close the description windows and the SEO wizard..
As already seen, the SEO wizard indicates several modifications that can be performed in the page description window:
- Page title,
- Page keywords...
Other properties that influence SEO can be defined in the page description window:
- Update frequency,
- Importance in the site.
The update frequency tells the search engine how often the page should be reindexed.
Try to indicate the most precise update frequency:
- If the page changes more often that what is specified, some versions may not be indexed.
- If the page changes less often, the search engine will overload the server, which may affect indexing.
Importance in the site
This criterion lets the search engine know which page to offer first to the user when several pages of the site match a search.
The navigation map defines the organization of your site. In SEO, it has two uses:
- allow you to display the "Site map" control to guide the users within the site.
- generate the sitemap.xml file.
- To define the navigation map:
- In the ribbon, go to the "Project" tab, "Web" group, and select "Navigation map".
- A window opens, allowing you to build the tree structure of your site. An automatic build mode can help you create a tree structure by automatically detecting the links between pages. The navigation map can be configured later.
- The sitemap file is automatically built by WEBDEV from the navigation map. It is generated in the _WEB directory of your site and it is named _sitemap.xml.
The sitemap.xml file must be provided to search engine webmaster tools so that they can index the content of your site.
To improve SEO even more, you can define the physical name of Active WEBDEV Pages so that it is different in every language (and different from the logical name as well).
For example, a page displaying a sales dashboard whose logical name (the name used in programming) is PAGE_SalesDASH can be generated in French in the ‘tableau-de-bord-ventes.awp' file and in English in the ‘sales-dashboard.awp' file.
- To configure the generation name of a page:
- Open the description window of "PAGE_List_of_new_products".
- In the "General" tab, click the "Language" button () to the right of the "Generated file" option.
- A window to configure the name of the generated pages appears:
- You change the name of the page and validate.
Click [Add] to post a comment