- Description window of report controls
- Characteristics by tab
- Main print parameters of report controls
- Using the modifier
- Viewing and/or changing the characteristics of one or more controls with the modifier
- Modifying the control caption
- Changing the control name
Modifying the characteristics of report controls
The characteristics of the controls can be viewed and/or changed in:
- the description window of this control.
- the modifier.
The report editor also allows you to:
- modify the control caption.
- modify the control name.
Description window of report controls
To open the description window of a control, use one of the following methods:
- double-click the control (recommended).
- right-click to open the context menu of the control and select "Description".
- select the control, go to the "Modification" tab and click the dialog box launcher of the "Quick edit" group (Alt + Enter).
- on the "Display" tab, click the dialog box launcher of the "Options" group (F12). Then, select the control and click the "Description" button.
Remark: The description window can be opened for a selection of controls. Only the characteristics common to the selected controls will be displayed.
Characteristics by tab
The description window shows the characteristics of the selected control(s) in different tabs:
Remark: All options found in the description window of report editor propose full tooltips, displaying for example, in addition to the help about the option, the corresponding WLanguage property, the availability for each platform, the multilingual values, ...
|General||Allows you to specify the name and the display options of the control. For example:|
- the control caption (this caption can be multilingual).
- the type of information displayed in the control (text, numeric, ...).
- the display mask used for the control (the mask can be multilingual). For more details, see the Different display masks.
- the image displayed in an Image control, the type of bar code used in a Bar Code control, the type of chart used in a Chart control, etc. For more details, see the online help of the desired type of control.
|UI||Used to define:|
- the print parameters of control (visible, breakable, ...). For more details, see Print parameters of report controls.
- the control size.
- the control position in the report and in the block to which the control belongs.
- the control anchoring.
- the associated group of controls.
- the associated plane.
|Link||Used to define the item or the variable found in the data source to which the control is linked. The value of this item or variable will be displayed in the control.|
To link the control to an item or to a variable that belongs to the data source of report, select this item in the "Linked item" list.
To link the control to an item that does not belong to the data source of report, select "Multi-file" then select the item linked to the current control.
|Remark||Allows you to describe the detailed operating mode of the control.|
This information will be printed in the technical documentation ( icon on the "Home" tab, "General" group).
This information can be get and set programmatically using the Note
|Style||Used to define:|
Remark: The font used in the control can also be defined via the icons of "Quick edit" group in the "Modification" pane.
- the control style (background color, border, ...).
- the font used in the control.
Main print parameters of report controls
The print parameters of a control are as follows (defined in the "UI" tab of the description window):
|Parameter||Description||Available for the following controls|
|Visible||The control can be displayed or hidden. This characteristic can be modified programmatically with the Visible property.||Static, Item, Calculated control, Image, Bar code, RTF control, Preset control, Chart, Shape, Internal Report control|
|Auto-resizing||The control size defined in the report editor can be enlarged according to the control content. The controls that follow the "auto-resizing" control will be moved automatically. |
Limit: In a Label report, controls cannot be auto-resizing.
- If a control is not an auto-resizing control, its content can be truncated if the control size is too small.
To get the height of an auto-resizing control when enlarged, use the FutureHeight property.
- If a control in a block is auto-resizing, the associated block will automatically be auto-resizing. A block containing auto-resizing controls is auto-resizing. A block containing no auto-resizing control is not auto-resizing.
- The controls in a page footer cannot be auto-resizing.
|Static, Item, Calculated control, Shape, Bar code, Internal Report control|
|Multiline||The control content can be displayed over several lines. This characteristic can be modified programmatically with the Multiline property.|
- The control height must be sufficient to display several lines.
- To modify the control height through programming, use Height.
- If an orientation angle is applied to a multiline control, the automatic CR characters are ignored. Only the manual CR characters are taken into account.
|Static, Item, Calculated control, Preset control|
|Breakable||The content of a breakable control can be printed over several pages if there is not enough space to print the entire control on a page.|
- In order for a control to be a breakable control, the block containing the control must also be breakable.
- If there is not enough space on the current page to print a non-breakable control, the entire control will be printed on the next page.
|Static, Item, Calculated control, Image, Bar code, RTF control, Preset control, Chart, Shape|
|Blank if zero||The control value is displayed only if the control value differs from 0.|
If the control value is equal to 0, the control displays an empty string ("").
|Ellipsis (long captions will end with '...')||The ellipsis is used to indicate that a caption is too long to be entirely displayed. The following characters are added to the caption: "...". These characters can be added at the end of caption or in the middle of the text (recommended when displaying file paths). ||Item, Calculated control|
|Displayed when the value changes||The control value is displayed only if the value of linked item changes when going to the next record in the data source of report.||Item, Calculated control|
|Reset to 0 after print||The control value is automatically reset to 0 once it was printed.|
This parameter is often used for the calculations on break.
|RTF||The control value can be in RTF.|
Reminder: RTF is used to take into account the attributes of characters (bold, italic, underline, etc.) in a text.
|Static, Item, RTF control|
|Use the Shared Information at runtime||The control will display the "shared information" of the item linked to the control (and not the subscript corresponding to this "shared information").|
For example, the "RAD info" of the "Title" item correspond to the following combo box: Only the indices of "Shared info" are stored in the database.
|Horizontal/Vertical gridlines||The horizontal and/or vertical gridlines can be displayed (or not) in a chart.||Chart|
The modifier is used to view and/or modify from the report editor the main characteristics:
- the selected controls.
- of the selected report or block.
Viewing and/or changing the characteristics of one or more controls with the modifier
To view and/or modify the characteristics of one or more controls with the modifier:
- Select the controls to modify:
- in the report directly (see Select one or more controls).
- via the drop-down list of the modifier. In this case, a single control can be selected at a time. The handles of the selected control are automatically displayed.
If several controls are selected, only the information common to the selected controls is displayed in the modifier.
- Make the desired changes. These changes are applied to all controls. You can:
- select the new value in a drop-down list.
- select the new value in a screen (color modification for example).
- change the value directly.
Modifying the control caption
To modify the caption of a control in the report currently created:
- Select the control to modify.
- Click the control again or press the Enter key. The mouse cursor turns into an input cursor.
- Enter the new text.
- Confirm by pressing the Enter key.
Changing the control name
The name of a control can be modified from the status bar of the report editor.
To change the control name:
- Select the control to modify.
- Type the new control name in the status bar.
This page is also available for…