- Using the BrowsedFile property
- Changing the properties linked to the iteration of a control based on a data file
- Type of iteration
- Handling the controls based on a data file via the properties
In french: FichierParcouru
property gets and sets the data source used to display records in controls based on a data file:
This data source can be:
- a data file or a query. The records displayed are from this data file or query.
- a variable (array, class member, advanced member, etc.)
This data source is defined in the control description ("Content" tab).
// Displays all the customers in a Table control
TABLE_Table1.BrowsedFile = "Customers"
// Displays the entire content of the Qry_Customers query in a Table control
TABLE_Table1.BrowsedFile = "Qry_Customers"
// Displays the contacts of the gAContact variable
// gAContact is a gglContact variable
TABLE_Table1.BrowsedFile = ":gAContact"
Getting the data file, query or variable used as data source Hide the details
<Browsed element> = <Control used>.BrowsedFile
<Browsed element>: Character string
Name of the element used as data source for the relevant control. This element can correspond to:
- the name of the data file or query.
- the name of the variable. This name has the following format ":<prefix><Variable name>" or ":<Variable name>". The prefix is applied only if the code style is enabled in the project.
<Control used>: Control name
Name of the control whose data source is requested. This control must be of the following type:
Changing the data file, query or variable used as data source Hide the details
<Control used>.BrowsedFile = <New data source>
<Control used>: Control name
Name of the control whose current data source must be modified. This control must be a:
<New data source>: Character string
Name of the element that must be associated with the relevant control:
The control will be empty if this parameter does not correspond to a valid name. The iteration will be stopped if this parameter is an empty string.
- Name of the data file or name of the query.
- Variable name. This name has the following format ":<prefix><Variable name>" or ":<Variable name>". The prefix must be specified only if the code style is enabled in the project (whether or not prefixes are displayed).
Using the BrowsedFile property
The BrowsedFile property can be used both in programmed and automatic iteration operations
If the BrowsedFile
property is used to change the data source used, the iteration operation starts over again. For a Table control, this operating mode is identical to the use of TableDisplay
associated with the taStart
Changing the properties linked to the iteration of a control based on a data file
To change multiple properties (BrowsedItem
) it is recommended to:
- Stop the iteration by assigning an empty string ("") to the BrowsedFile property.
- Change the relevant properties.
- Restart the iteration with the BrowsedFile property.
This method is used to optimize the modifications performed. Each one of the modifications made individually restarts the iteration. These operations can become quite slow when they are performed on large data files.
Type of iteration
- Automatic iteration: WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile manage the reading of the data file and the display of the data in the control. No specific programming is required.
If the control can be sorted (table...), the sort is performed on the search item defined in the "Content" tab of the element description.
If a filter is specified ("Filter on the search item" in the "Content" tab of the object description), this filter is used.
- Programmed iteration: The developer must program the reading of the data file and the display of the data in the control.
A programmed iteration allows you to sort and filter records with precision. However, a programmed iteration is slower and more complex than an automatic iteration.
Handling the controls based on a data file via the properties
- The records displayed in the browsing controls come from the data file or query specified by the BrowsedFile property.
- The sort direction is defined by the BrowsedItem property.
- Depending on the type of control, the records can be filtered using the Filter property or the HFilter function.
The BrowsedFile property applies only to controls in a window or page. This property applies only to the following controls:
This page is also available for…