- Displaying and modifying the description of a report
- Managing the data source
- Display options in the report viewer
- Managing blocks
- Background image
- Opening, closing and saving a report
- Opening a report
- Closing a report
- Saving a report
- Automatic recovery
Handling a report (in the editor)
Once a report was created, the description of this report can be modified at any time:
- data source,
- controls found in the report,
- layout, ...
Only the report type cannot be modified. Indeed, too many specific parameters are involved. To change the report type, all you have to do is create a new report.
This help page presents:
Displaying and modifying the description of a report
The main options of the report can be accessed in the report description ("Report description" from the popup menu).
Let's take a quick look at the different tabs of report description.
: The main options of the report can also be accessed via the "Modifier" pane
Managing the data source
The data source of a report can be configured and modified at any time. In most cases, these operations are performed from the description window of the report.
- modify the data source of report ("Data" tab of report description):
- by changing the type of data source for the report (switching from a report based on a query to a report based on a data file or on a memory area for example).
- by changing the parameters of selected data source (modify the query or the sort, implement bounds, ...).
- configure the operating mode of report if the data source is empty ("UI" tab of report description). If the data source is empty, the report editor gives you the ability to print the report or to display a warning message without printing the report. The warning message can be configured.
Remark: If the report is based on a query, select "Edit the query" in the context menu to directly edit the query in the query editor. Then, this query can be modified.
Display options in the report viewer
The display options in the report viewer are defined in the "UI" tab of the report description. You can:
- specify the export formats that will be available in the report viewer. The selected formats will be available for the user.
- configure the message displayed if the data source is empty.
- set the waiting message displayed when selecting and sorting records.
The report blocks can be managed in the report currently edited or in the description window of report.
The blocks can be managed:
- from the options in the context menu of blocks (right mouse click on the caption of blocks).
- via the description window of the report ("Report description" from the popup menu), "Blocks" tab.
The "Format" tab of the description window of report is used to configure:
- the page format (or the format of label sheet).
- the indent of controls (in order for the control text not to be stuck to the control border).
- the margins.
- the page orientation (portrait or landscape).
- the format of labels if the report is a label report.
- the number of columns.
You also have the ability to create multi-column reports.
- the number of pages in width. In this case, a large report (whose size exceeds the size of a paper sheet) will be printed on several pages. The end user will only have to assemble the pages. For more details, see Multi-page print.
The "Options" tab found in the description window of report is used to configure:
- the operating mode of report if the page format is not supported by the printer.
- the position of the blocks when printing the report.
- the table style if the report contains a table.
- the list of templates used by the report.
- the style of the labels if the report is a label report.
- the errors specific to PDF/A-1b and PDF/A-3b export. For more details, see Printing in PDF.
This tab is also used to:
- configure the report for using Reports and Queries. For more details, see Reports & Queries.
- specify whether the compiled code must be included. This option is required in very rare cases only.
- configure some specific parameters:
- Whether the pages must be sent one by one to the print spooler (print performed page after page). In this case, the print is sent to the print spooler after each printed page.
- Whether the space characters that fill the items must be taken into account. This option affects only auto-resizing controls associated with a text item filled with space characters (compatibility with WINDEV 5.5).
- Whether the first page is a cover page. In this case, the first page will be displayed on the right in the report viewer (in side-by-side display mode).
- Whether the code of cloned controls must be run. This option is checked by default. If this option is unchecked, the report behavior will correspond to the one of versions 21 and earlier: the code of cloned controls will not be run.
- Overload the programming standard defined at project level (via the "Programming standard" button). For more details, see Project description: Compilation tab.
Most types of reports can be created from a form. The "Background" tab allows you to define the image used as form in the report. This image can be printed (or not) with the report.
This option is very useful for the reports that must be printed on a pre-printed form. The form is included in the report, allowing you to easily position the records to print. Printing has now become hassle-free.
It is also possible to configure the paper color that will be used in the report viewer and when the report is exported to PDF.
For more details on how to use a form in a report, see Report on form
A report can be multilingual: this report can be displayed and printed in several languages.
The "Language" tab is used to configure:
- the languages supported by the current report.
- the language displayed in the report editor: this language will be used by default when the report is displayed in the editor.
The following information can be typed in several languages:
- all the messages displayed while the report is printed. These messages are translated in the different description windows.
- the caption of Static controls or RTF controls: To translate these captions, you must:
- modify the language displayed in the report: on the "Display" tab, in the "Options" group, expand "Language displayed" and select the desired language.
- enter the translations in the report in edit.
- the input mask of item controls, calculated controls or preset controls.
- the image files used in the report.
- the form of the report.
Opening, closing and saving a report
Opening a report
To open a report, you have the ability to use one of the following methods:
- on the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, expand "Open" and select "Open". Then, select the "WDE" file to open.
- click in the quick access buttons and select "Open". Then, select the "WDE" file to open.
- double-click a "WDE" file directly.
- double-click the name of a report in the "Project explorer" pane.
Closing a report
To close the current report, use one of the following methods:
- click the cross found in the upper-right corner of the title bar of the report currently edited.
- on the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, expand "Close" and select "Close".
If the report contains unsaved modifications, the report editor automatically proposes to save the report.
Saving a report
To save the current report, use one of the following methods:
- on the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, click .
- press Ctrl + S.
- click in the quick access buttons.
Remark: To change the name of the report and save it, go to the "Home" tab, "General" group, expand "Save" and select "Save as".
To avoid problems when a system lock occurs (power outage for example), WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile propose a system used to automatically retrieve the elements opened in the different editors
When this system is enabled:
- an automatic backup of the opened elements is regularly performed at specific time intervals (every 10 minutes by default).
- when a report is re-opened after a system lock, a window for automatic retrieval is displayed. This window proposes to recover:
- the report as it was during the last backup performed from the report editor.
- the report automatically saved.
The selected version is automatically opened in the editor. The non-selected version is available in the window for managing the versions and it can be opened at any time. For more details on version management, see managing the versions.
To enable the system for automatic retrieval:
- On the "Home" tab, in the "Environment" group, expand "Options" and select "General options of xxx".
- Display the "General" tab and check "Backup for automatic retrieval'.
- Specify the timeout for the automatic backup.
To retrieve a version in the window for version management:
- On the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, expand "Save" and select "Versions".
- Select the version to retrieve.
This page is also available for…
Click [Add] to post a comment