Creates and opens a temporary file. A unique name is given by the system to each temporary file.
New in version 28
<Result> = fOpenTempFile([<Opening mode> [, <Prefix of temporary file> [, <Directory of temporary file>]]])
<Result>: Integer or DiskFile variable
- an integer:
- Identifier of the temporary file. This identifier will be used by all the functions for handling the external files.
- -1 if an error occurred. To get more details on the error, use ErrorInfo with the errMessage constant.
New in version 28
a variable of type DiskFile
. If an error occurs, the ErrorOccurred
variable is set to True
. To get more details on the error, use ErrorInfo
with the errMessage
constant. Not available.
<Opening mode>: Optional constant (or combination of constants)
Constants used to define the opening mode of the file, the access mode to the file and the lock mode of the file.
<Prefix of temporary file>: Optional character string
Prefix (3 letters) for the name of the temporary file. This parameter is used to prefix the name of the temporary file. Only the first three letters will be taken into account.
<Directory of temporary file>: Optional character string
Full or relative directory of the temporary file (up to 260 characters). A UNC path can be used. This directory name may (or may not) end with the "\" character. This directory must exist. Otherwise, a WLanguage error occurs.
If this parameter is not specified, the default directory will be:
- the temporary directory of Windows (if this directory exists on the current computer),
- the current directory (if the temporary directory of Windows does not exist on the current computer).
throws an error in the following cases:
- the specified directory does not exist,
- the file is locked by another computer or by another application,
- the user has no read or write rights on the file to open.
Business / UI classification: Business Logic